The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (Aug 17):
- Ayatollah Khomeini’s founding vision – that the eradication of Zionism is an inevitable precondition for redeeming contemporary Islam – still guides Iran’s current religious, political and military establishment. Today, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei bears the torch and is the chief agitator for the extermination of Israel, spreading this message worldwide over social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, in books, and addressing various audiences in English, Arabic and Persian. The Iranian religious, political, intellectual and military elite support and repeat Khamenei’s messages.
- When negotiating with Western powers, Iran sugar-coats its belligerent ideology, presenting it as the “Iranian Peace Plan.” As part of this peace plan, Iran calls for” a just and permanent solution of the Palestinian question,” which in practice means the elimination of the Jewish state.
- On July 25, 2015, Facebook pages and websites associated with the Revolutionary Guards reported the statement of commander Mohammad Ali Jafari: “Once the Supreme Leader orders all forces to start jihad, we can reduce Israel to dust within 24 hours. Our missiles have been eager to be launched for years.”
- Hojatoleslam Ali Shirazi, Khamenei’s representative in Iran’s Al-Quds Force, said on February 26, 2015: “We shall not rest until the banner of Islam flies over the White House. This is the wish of the Islamic Community.”
- Mohsen Rafighdoost, one of the founders of the Revolutionary Guards, declared at a press conference on Januar 21, 2015: “The countdown to the annihilation of Israel has begun….Now, we wish to be in the front line of the fight for liberating Jerusalem.”
Click here to read the full article.
IDF Lt.-Col. (ret.) Michael (Mickey) Segall, an expert on strategic issues with a focus on Iran, terrorism, and the Middle East, is a senior analyst at the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs and at Foresight Prudence.